11.10.2006

Undefeated is overrated

After watching Rutgers squeak out a come from behind win at home against Louisville, I'm already starting to get upset about the upcoming, inevitable talks about Rutgers deserving a shot at the national title. I understand the argument, if a team can make it out of a major conference without a loss, they should have a shot at playing for the championship. This all makes some sense, but there's just NO WAY that Rutgers is one of the two best teams in college football. Which brings me to my main point, that being undefeated is overrated. Quality wins, of which Rutgers now has one, are important in determining if a team should be in or considered for the championship. The worst part of all of this though is that everyone, including Rutgers, is participating in a fundamentally flawed system. In a fair system, Rutgers would have a shot at the title. However, as the system is now, I can't see talking about them as a potential title contender.