11.07.2006

What happened to Slamball?

A few years ago, TNN aired the first season of Slamball, an overdue combination of basketball and trampolining. From time to time, I find myself checking in on their website to see if its ever going to come back. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be making a revival anytime soon. I'm left to get my fix of basketball and trampolines by searching for "basketball and trampolines" on YouTube (see below).


How did a perfect made for TV sport fail? TNN did make the switch to SpikeTV, but Slamball would still have been a good match for their core demographic. It certainly fits in better with their current lineup than The Three Stooges and Star Trek. The production costs couldn't have been the downfall. Player salaries were probably next to nothing, I'm assuming most of those guys still worked at Kenny's Shoes or Safeway for their day jobs. That's it, I can't think of any reasons why Slamball failed, which leads me to the conclusion that Slamball needs to come back. I will continue to check in to see if that ever happens.